Interactivity

To be honesty, I cannot understand the meaning about ” Interactivity ” before studying it. When I after reading this book. I found the ” Interactivity ” is connect various materials, such as the communication of audience and performer. For instance, Seven Easy Pieces, when the performer show the performance, the performer look around the audience’s reflection and hear their sounds. On the contrary, the audience focus on performer’s performance and give performer some feedback through their facial emotion and body reflection. An audience is never completely passive, regardless of whether the work that they are watching is described as ‘ interactive ‘ or not. As McAuley(2000:246) said that in the theatre, due to the live presence of both spectators and performers, the energy circulates from performer to spectator and back again, from spectator to performer and back again. This is obvious that communication and exchange is implicit in their presence there together, engaging in and sharing the experience.

Interactivity plays a significant role in Choreography ,like the Popat (2006:34) points out: In interactive artworks the power given to the audience is far greater, and they are made aware of its experience. If the communication between artists(s) and viewer is to be two-way with mutual effect, then the focus of the artwork shifts. Instead of a completed product, the interactive artist design a framework that contains the potential for the creative experience of the participant. For me, it means that interactivity should connect Body, Space,Time with Technology together, besides, the audience’s reflection and performer’s experiences. In my work, I need to think about these materials.

I gave this video Link, I found that the choreographer puts all the materials in this work and attract audience’s eyes and makes the audience to think about the background and the movement, the gesture and dance vocabulary. That’s what I understand for ‘ Interactivity ‘.